October 2, 2008

The road less traveled . . . Rokers Point, Exuma


Last summer I found a beautiful stretch of coast line in Rokers Point, just north of the new Four Seasons and Grand Isle resort at Emerald Bay (a.k.a - Ocean Bight), on Great Exuma. A few years ago I went down a dirt road in Rokers Point with Mr. Basil Minns, to take a look at the progress on the new marina at the Four Seasons. I had never been down this road, but Mr Minns had, and he showed me the way. Just this past summer,I travelled down this road once again. 
Now that the new marina is open, I decided to drive in and take a look around. Driving to the tip of the marina turned out to be very rewarding as I got a great view of an area that lay just ahead towards the north, where my dirt road had ended. It was a massive cleared piece of land, which was rather depressing, but there was glimpse of hope; a rocky cliff-filled shoreline, that even had a surf break in it. A beautiful area that was untouched.






Back when I went with Mr. Minns a few years earlier, the road that led to this area, turned into a dead end; nothing but bush. This time, as I approached the end of this same road I saw a open gate, two construction trailers, and a single car. I drove in, attempted to knock, and was verbally waved in. The woman working there was very nice, and seemed rather pleased to have some unexpected company for the day. I explained who I was, and what I was doing. She said “no problem”, and I was off.
Wow! within 30 sec. I realized that I didn’t have enough film, nor time. I got one shot off but had to pack it up, as I had friends to pick up at the airport. Two days later I was back. I carry 12 filmholders/24 shots, which usually means 3 photographs, as I bracket my film and expose 8 sheets per image.



I never got back there on my last trip, but hopefully the area will still be accessible for the next couple of years, seeing how slowly things get done in the Bahamas. I got 4 pretty amazing images, and the knowledge that I found a new stretch of coastline on Exuma to capture on film.
I have traveled down lots of paths, dirtroads, and trails in Exuma. This was the first time any kind of progress help in my search for pristine, untouched areas. Normally when I hit a dead end, or the bush gets to think, I turn back, and look for another shot. But this time thanks to a newly developed marina, and newly cleared road, I was able to get some good shots, so thank you resort developer people. My race to capture the unspoiled, beautiful landscapes of the Bahamas, before they disappear is allways on, so is the race of progess and developement. See you at the finish line boys.

1 comment:

PJ said...

JB!

Love your work!! Really looking forward to seeing more. We share some common interests in what we like to shoot.

Holler if you want to post some of your shots on my Exuma website. You can find me and some of the stuff I do here: Perry Joseph

Hope to hear from you.