July 16, 2008

Water Sketches

Every now and then I get interesting emails from my website about my work. Several months ago I got a rather intriguing one from a musician. His name is David Paul. He is a classically trained musician with a Masters Degree from Rice University. David has over 21 years experience, including seven years as a first violinist with the Jacksonville Symphony. He wrote me, wanting to use my "Surface Series" images, to compose a piece of music.
       
       
David found my work through the website Artspan, a website of contemporary art, which is home to over 2,300 artists. After viewing some similar pieces he had composed with other work from other artists, I agreed. But I wanted to see and hear a rough draft of the music first. What I received a short time later was an mp3, which david called "a preliminary sketch", "not unlike a painter would do, based on your work" It was appropriately called "Water Sketches".
This collaboration can be viewed by clicking on the YouTube logo under News/Press on my "BIO" page, or by going to http://www.musicbydavidpaul.com/ .

I was very pleased with the final piece. It is a very soothing, and relaxing piece of music, which was a  great companion to the simplistic "Surface Series" images chosen. David Paul has several other works you can listen too and even down load on his site. I hope that maybe one day he would like to compose a piece for my black and white "Fine Bahamian Landscapes".

I just recently heard it the other night on my son's sleepy time playlist on my ipod, which I uploaded it on to, no comment yet from Lukie...




No comments: